After the two days dedicated to the individual reading of the Draft Constitution, this Friday the standing committees of the National Assembly will meet in three groups to continue the study of the document and the clarification of doubts.
In each of these meetings, members of the temporary committee in charge of Constitutional Reform and a group of advisors will participate, with the purpose of continuing to deepen the knowledge of the Project that will be submitted for debate in the ordinary session that begins next Saturday.
- By agreement of the National Assembly, in an extraordinary session held on June 2 of this year, it was agreed to begin the process of Constitutional Reform and to approve as a first step the creation of a Commission for this purpose.
- Representing the various sectors of our society, 33 members of the Commission responsible for drawing up the preliminary draft were selected and approved.
- The Commission is chaired by Army General Raúl Castro Ruz, and is also made up of the President of the Council of State and Ministers, Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez, and the Second Secretary of the Central Committee of the Party, José Ramón Machado Ventura.
- The Commission took as a reference the contribution of experts from various institutions and the studies previously carried out by a working group, commissioned by the Political Bureau to analyze the impact on the constitutional order of the changes that have been taking place, to evaluate issues that needed to be incorporated into the constitutional text, to study constitutional processes developed in various countries, as well as to study in depth aspects of our history and constitutional tradition.
- The Commission presented a preliminary draft of the new Constitution of the Republic to the Seventh Plenary Meeting of the Party Central Committee and the State Council, in which each of its precepts was analyzed in depth.
- The National Assembly of People's Power studies the document to approve its submission for consultation to the Cuban people.