Miguel Diaz-Canel, president of Cuba, mourned today on social media the deaths of three young girls in a building collapse in Old Havana.
The Cuban president said: "Collapse in Old Havana causes the death of three girls. We are very sorry for what happened. We extend our support to the families.
The message is linked to the information published in Granma newspaper regarding the accident that took place last Monday afternoon that caused the death of three girls after the collapse of a building's balcony.
The girls Maria Karla Fuentes and Lisnavy Valdes Rodriguez - each 12 years old - and Rocio Garcia Napoles, 11, were passing under the structure when it collapsed.
Part of Building 102, at Vives and Revillagigedo streets, collapsed last year, said Amparo Marrero, neighbor of the Jesus Maria Popular Council, where the collapse occurred.
The first secretary of the communist party in the province, Luis Antonio Torres, and the governor of Havana, Reinaldo Garcia Zapata, as well as government officials, delegates, doctors, and residents of the popular council, were present at the site.