|The Prado Avenue in Cienfuegos
2012.05.01 - 05:14:36 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Translated by: JC Caballero
Cienfuegos: the Padro Avenue of Cienfuegos province, which is two kilometers long and the largest of its type in Cuba, was beautified on the occasion of its 193 anniversary of the foundation of the old colony of Fernandina de Jagua recently celebrated for the joy of its settlers, national and foreign visitors.
The important road of vehicles and pedestrians, which constitutes the main road of the city, was subjected to some arrangements through actions carried out in the public gardens, common public banks and painting, including the houses’ facades and work places.
The aforementioned avenue´s structure and environment have many architectural and urban values given the fact that there are few spaces in the city like this one in which its columns and doorways are protected by the shadow of its trees.
According to the Eida Nancy González, deputy director of the Curator Office, the works were carried out in association with diverse institutions like the Housing main office.
Spring cleaning, hygiene and work order were part of the painting work of the aforementioned avenue as well as a study on the constructions that are being structured according to the local plans of restoration. Therefore, anyone interested in painting his/her house usually ask the Curator Office for permission.
It is advised to use suitable colors to prevent them from changing the urban ones given the characteristics and different architectonical styles of the constructions. For example, it is used white and pastel colors on the walls, among other tonalities that featured the historical center of that city which was declared by UNESCO as a Heritage of Mankind.
Located in its area, the Casona de los Leones building, Roberto García Valdés Provincial library and the Diocese are among the numerous buildings that are exponent ones of the architectural eclecticism in which is combined the Mudejar, Byzantine, Venetian, Gothic and baroque styles.
The first plan of this avenue, located in the ancient Fernandina de Jagua colony, dates back to the year 1798 and its first block was paved in 1911 in order to construct the entrance of the Luisa Theater that is located between the Santa Clara and Argüelles Streets.
The Padro Avenue has had some names through its history such as the San Fernando Square, Vives Promenade, Independencia Avenue, Pedro Antonio Aragonés Avenue, among others, and it is since the year 1913 that it began to be named as the Paseo del Prado (PradoAvenue) just like the similar one from Havana city and the other one located in Madrid, Spain. By Mireya Ojeda Cabrera